Your LinkedIn profile is 100% complete and you have just finished uploading all of your juicy work experience. Now it’s time to share your profile to the community, your connections, prospective clients and even potential employers.
It’s one thing to have a LinkedIn profile but it’s quite another to get some eyes on your profile. Once your LinkedIn profile is 10complete and ready to share, here are five ways to promote your profile and gain some additional exposure.
- Customize Your LinkedIn URL: By default, your LinkedIn profile URL will consist of random alphanumerical characters. However, you can create a customized profile URL to help rank better for your own name in search engines. Keep in mind that custom public profile URLs are available on a first come, first served basis so make sure you do this as soon as possible. To change your URL, click on Edit Profile, then click “Customize your public profile URL” underneath your profile picture. Then you can type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box. Click Set Custom URL and you’re done! http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleyrosedavidson
- Consistently Update Your Profile: Google loves to crawl LinkedIn profiles! If you have ever searched your name in Google, chances are your LinkedIn profile is probably within the top 10 search results. To help optimize your personal search results, try updating or editing your Profile once every 2-3 weeks. By adding or changing the information within your profile, Google will detect the new information and this will help bump your profile to the top of the ranking.
- Speaking Engagements: Having a 1-page Speaker’s Profile for yourself is a great way to book potential speaking engagements within your community. Your Speaker’s Profile can showcase your biography, previous speaking engagements, areas of expertise and social media networks, including your LinkedIn Profile. Once you have booked some speaking engagements, offer to connect with the attendees on LinkedIn afterwards. Also, if you make contacts at any event, follow up by finding them on LinkedIn and add them as a Connection. Don’t forget to hand out your business card, that should contain your LinkedIn Profile URL.
- Email Signatures: Whether it be your work email signature or your personal email, make sure to add your LinkedIn URL. It`s a great way to connect with new contacts or have existing contacts and have them check out your LinkedIn Profile. But before you add your LinkedIn URL, make sure to customize your URL.
- Business Cards: Having your LinkedIn profile on your business cards offers a professional glimpse to prospective clients and business connections when handing them out. After you have given your business card out, mention to people to connect with you on LinkedIn and to add you as a connection.
Do you have some additional tips to share?
Comment below and share how you promote your profile or gain more connections through LinkedIn.